SAYO-Y: Survey of Academic and Youth Outcomes-Youth Survey
SAYO-Y is one of three research-based measurement tools that make up the APAS System, a field-tested, user-friendly suite of evaluation tools built with OST in mind.
Research suggests that certain youth experiences and outcomes are critical to future success, and SAYO-Y can show where your program is succeeding or in need of extra attention within these areas. Use SAYO-Y to survey your youth participants and collect data about what they are getting out of your program. The tool is adaptable and can be tailored to gather data in all or part of the following areas:
- Program Experiences (engagement, choice, challenge, social environment, etc.)
- Future Expectations (future planning, aspirations, college planning, etc.)
- Sense of Competence (reading, writing, math, science, getting along with others, etc.)
How it works:
SAYO-Y is comprised of three brief pre- and post-participation surveys that are completed by youth participants to measure their program experiences, future expectations, and sense of competence. The surveys are designed for programs serving children from Grade 4 through Grade 12 and can be completed online.
The entire APAS System, including SAYO-Y is free to use at your program site after you complete the required pre-requisite training program for each tool. For a small fee, we will train you and your staff, either in-person or online, to record detailed data using the APAS System and to use that data to create an action plan. Together, we will help you build an OST program that works.
If you are interested in SAYO-Y for your program site, you can receive training for the entire APAS System, or training only for SAYO-Y. Training options for SAYO-Y include:
- One-day onsite training
- Online training subscription - includes unlimited access to online training portal for 1 year
- Onsite training as part of the 2-day APAS training
Whichever option you choose, SAYO-Y training will show you:
- How to plan your SAYO-Y data collection
- How to customize SAYO-Y to align with your program goals
- How to prepare staff to administer the SAYO-Y to youth
- How to understand and use your findings to improve your program
- How SAYO-Y fits into the APAS System
Who is it for?
- SAYO-Y on its own or within the APAS System has been used by afterschool directors, supervisors, curriculum and education coordinators, and 21st Century Community Learning Center personnel
- SAYO-Y is recommended for well-established programs (+1 year) that offer a variety of programming to 25 or more youth participants who attend on a regular basis
- SAYO-Y can be used in programs with youth in Grades 4-12
- Start-up programs and those experiencing high staff turnover, facility changes and/or major shifts in program focus may instead be interested in APT
The APAS System tools (APT, SAYO-S&T, SAYO-Y) are free to use at a program site after completion of required training. A program site is defined as a physical address where programming for youth occurs.